Key Lime Martini
from Family-Style Recipes at the Hali’imaile General Store
The weather on Maui is really warming up so I thought I’d share a recipe for a cool, refreshing dessert. Key lime pie is one of my favorites and if you can find Key lime juice, use it. Otherwise I get great results with fresh Hawaiian limes.
Key Lime Filling
3 (14 oz.) cans sweetened condensed milk
2/3 cup egg yolks (about 6 to 7)
1-1/4 cups fresh squeezed lime juice
2/4 cup graham cracker crumbs
2 tablespoons butter, melted
1/2 cup sugar
Fresh berries or seasonal fruit, for garnish
1. Preheat the oven to 300 degrees F.
2. To make the curd, in a large bowl, whisk together the condensed milk, egg yolks, and lime juice. Pour the mixture into an (8 by 8 inch) square cake pan. Place the pan in a larger pan. Fill the outer pan with hot water halfway up the sides of the smaller pan.
3. Bake for 25 minutes or until the curd wiggles and hold together like Jell-O. Remove the pan from the oven and the water bath, cool to room temperature, and refrigerate for 2 hours to set the curd.
4. In a small bowl, mix the cracker crumbs, butter, and sugar and set aside until the dessert is ready to be assembled.
5. To assemble the dessert, divide the crumbs evenly among six martini glasses. Scoop the curd onto the crumbs. Sprinkle berries or fresh fruit over the top and serve.